Open 24/7: (973) 383-4321
Planning on taking a trip to the beach with your furry friend this summer? If so, you’ll want to make sure you are 100% prepared for that long car ride from Sussex Couty to the Jersey Shore. So, without further ado, here’s what we suggest to make the trip as safe and successful as possible:
- Take a test drive. If your furry best friend isn’t used to riding around in a car, like many of our patients, you’ll want to get him used to it before tackling a two-to-three hour car ride.
- Keep all paws inside. We know it may be tempting to roll the window down so Fido can enjoy his ears flapping in the wind, but please think twice! Allowing him to ride with his head out the window makes him more susceptible to an eye injury. Plus, you wouldn’t want him hopping out in traffic, would you?
- Pack plenty of water. Riding in the car can be both exciting and scary for your pup, which means a lot of panting! Don’t forget to pack some bottled water, and stop often to let him sip and stretch along the way.
- Update his dog tags. While we sure hope that Fido stays with his paws firmly planted at your feet, it’s always important to expect the unexpected. If he happens to get loose while on vacation, make sure he’s got an accurate set of dog tags so he’ll be able to find his way home.
- Update all his vaccines. While you’re in the booking and planning process, don’t forget to schedule some time to have Fido checked out by your veterinarian. Making sure his vaccines are all up to date is important, as is having a pre-trip checkup to make sure he’s not coming down with a cold!
Where are you planning to take a trip this summer? We’d love to hear all about your travel plans on our Facebook page — or perhaps at your next vet visit!
Learn all about our annual canine wellness programs on our site, contact us online with questions, or feel free to call the office at 973-383-4321. At Newton Veterinary Hospital, providing the healthiest, happiest life for you and your pet is our #1 goal!
62 Hampton House Rd.
Newton, NJ 07860
ASK THE VET
What Our Clients Say
Read our reviews to see if our hospital is a good fit for you and your pet.